Friday, July 6, 2012

Playing by the Numbers?

Inspired by Donna at Funky Junk Interiors, I made a big number 5.  It is a little oddly shaped, but I think that gives it a vintage quality. 
scrap wood #5 fun paint technique http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2012/07/playing-by-numbers.html
The fun part was playing around with paint techniques.  I wasn't sure what finished look I was going for so I decided to try a few different things.  I melted some wax and added a few blobs of that.  I slapped on some red.  I sprinkled some salt on it and spray painted brown/rust primer on it.  I added some orange and turquoise, sprayed some Murphy's wood soap on the wet paint and added a little more salt.  I let all that dry, sanded and added stain.
scrap wood #5 fun paint technique http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2012/07/playing-by-numbers.html
Not sure if the finish or technique is anything earth shattering, but I had a blast throwing different things on there and am pleased with the results.  The point is--you don't have to play by the rules with paint--experiment and have fun!
scrap wood #5 fun paint technique http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2012/07/playing-by-numbers.html
Find more ideas at Funky Junk Interiors.
scrap wood #5 fun paint technique http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2012/07/playing-by-numbers.html

23 comments:

  1. Very Cool. I like the textures and color variation. Gives it a neat vintage feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your 5 - it's bold and whimsical! :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas and sounds like you had fun at the same time!

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm never brave enough to try these kind of paint techniques. But maybe I can copy you! It is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! And the colors are Awesome!
    Thanks for sharing!

    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...very cool finish and color combo...love it :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky you have already inspired me to experiment with paint, especially bold colours and layering. I had put paint over stain before, but after reading how you do things, I tried stain over paint (that has been sanded). I am pleased with the look and when I blog about it, will be sure to mention you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a GREAT number 5...and the odd shape DOES give it vintage appeal....sounds like you had some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the number and the size. Your paint technique looks amazing also. Love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. adorable! You are amazing & a total inspiration!!!! I must get in the garage to try some of this brilliance!

    Thanks & may God pour out blessings upon you & your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out wonderful. I am always on the hunt for vintage typography and this would fit the bill nicely. So glad to have found your blog and I have become your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came out unique and pleasurable to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the look of this, especially the colors & textures at the top of the 5. Really beautiful color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very cool! I love the combination of colors you chose! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this do you have a tutorial on these different techniques. Is the murphy soap the same as murphy oil?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What kind of wax did you use? Love the 5!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saved this picture and look at it often. Everything about it inspires me! wish I could touch it! Im going to have to try this. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! I'm working on a project and want to get a similar look. Thank you so much for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how this turned out Becky, the pits look especially like it has been around forever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!